2023 Club League
New in 2023 – Age-Grading
For the 2023 club league we have some exciting changes to announce, the intent of which are to:
- Increase participation. More WRR vests at more races.
- Increase friendly competition between club members.
The key change is in the way that points will be allocated. Each runner’s score will NOT be based upon other WRR runners ahead of you (1st WRR: 50, 2nd: 49, 3rd: 48 etc). Instead, it will be based upon the age-graded score for each runner. This is a recognised way of measuring and comparing performances on a level playing field, where age and gender are accounted for in the scores.
So instead of ranking club members within age categories and gender, we will all be ranked together using our age-graded scores.
This will hopefully inject a bit of fun into the league and provide some interesting competition between all club members (removing the limits of only competing against those in your specific age category)! Over time, it will also allow us to more easily recognise runners who improve.
To get a feel for how age-gradings work you can check out any parkrun results or even the recent Eynsham 10k results (see https://dbmaxresults.co.uk/results.aspx?CId=16421&RId=392). You can sort all runners by age-grading and see for yourself how it will throw up some interesting battles between club mates!
We are also keen to motivate more members to complete the league. It is all about having fun, and maximising WRR participation across our local running races.
Please see below for a list of the 2023 races. Obviously we cannot please everyone with the race list, but hopefully there is a nice balance in there. The main criteria for selecting the races were to:
- Support local races
- Minimise travel
- Align with the GP series & the WRR John Rose trophy (races over a range of distances)
- Increase number of WRR members who are able to complete the league (run the minimum number of races required, see rules below).
- League completion. Runners need to run at least 8 races in order to complete the league and qualify for a league memento.
- These 8 races can be any of those included in the league race list. There are no first half/second half requirements.
- We will announce the memento early in 2023 to encourage as much participation as possible!
- Note: your total score for the league can include up to 10 races (see below), so running an extra 2 will boost your total score!
- Race scoring. The scoring for each race will work as follows:
- Results submitted/collected as normal. Please submit results to email@example.com.
- Only official times will be used (chip times when available).
- We will calculate the age-grading for each WRR runner (using the race distance, runner age & gender).
- The dataset used for these calculations is recent, and the most established available at the time of writing.
- Exact numbers may differ very slightly from the age-gradings produced in race results (if they use a different dataset).
- Each runner’s score for that race will be their age grading (e.g. 60.0% age-grading = 60.0 score). Remember, higher score is better!
- Overall league scoring. At the end of the season, each runner’s total score for the league will be calculated as follows:
- Total (sum) of their best scores (up to 10 races maximum)
- League prizes will be based on total score.
- We anticipate that prizes will be awarded based on top n total scores (across all runners, regardless of gender or age).
- Results. All league scores will be published as soon as possible after each league race (to the newsletter, web site, social media, etc. as appropriate).
- Other rules.
- Runners must wear WRR club vest/t-shirt (no training tops).
- Runners must not run in the name of another runner.
- Runners need to be fully paid up first-claim WRR members to qualify for league memento or any prize in the overall league standings.
- All the usual EA rules (where applicable) apply.
The league race team pick the qualifying races based on supporting local clubs, entry price, distance from Witney, and what WRR members have recommended in the past.
- All dates are subject to change, and any missing dates will be added as soon as the information is available from race organisers.
- Additional races might get added if confirmed (e.g. Didcot 5).
|1||Feb 12th||Bramley 10m/20m||10m, 20m|
|2||Mar 12th||Goring 10k||10k||Results|
|3||Mar 19th||Banbury 15m||15m||GP||Results|
|4||Apr 2nd||White Horse Half-Marathon||13.1m||GP||cancelled|
|5||Apr 14th||Maidenhead 10m||10m||Results|
|6||Apr 27th||Mota-vation 1 (Charlton on Otmoor)||~4m||Results|
|7||May 15th||Sri Chinmoy 2m||2m||Results|
|8||May 25th||Mota-vation 2 (Bletchingdon)||~4m||Results|
|9||May 29th||Sri Chinmoy 3m||3m||Results|
|13||Jun 5th||Sri Chinmoy 4m||4m||Results|
|10||Jun 11th||Fairford 10K||10k||Results|
|11||Jun 17th||Cumnor 5k||5k||Results|
|12||Jun 25th||Thame 10k||10k||GP||Results|
|14||Jun 29th||Mota-vation 3 (Combe I)||~4m||Results|
|15||July 2nd||Didcot 5m||5m||Results|
|15||Jul 15th||Hornton Classic 6||6m||GP||cancelled|
|16||Jul 27th||Mota-vation 4 (Combe II)||~4m||Results|
|17||Aug||Hook Norton 6||6m||GP||Results|
|18||Aug||Alchester Summer 5k||5k||GP|
|19||Aug 13th||Burnham Beeches 10k/Half-Marathon||10k, 13.1m|
|20||Aug 27th||Headington 5||5m||GP|
|21||Aug 31st||Mota-vation 5 (Stratfield Brake)||~4m|
|24||Oct 22nd||Abingdon Marathon||26.2m||GP|
The Eynsham 10k is too close to our annual awards dinner to be included in the club league, and so instead we will make it the first race for the following 2024 league